Friday, February 23, 2007


Today's Five O'Clock Rock


If we're going to keep hanging out, there's something I need to tell you. I have a bit of a CD past.

A couple of weeks into ripping my CD collection, I have come up with a core sample from the very bottom of the trunk. They’re among the first I ever owned, in what could be called The BMG Years. The scuffed jewel cases are only vaguely transparent. Broken hinges outnumber the intact. Grease-pencil initials let you know just who’d come looking for this particular copy of “Cosmic Thing.”

Over the years, if I had to double-row CD cases on a bookshelf, these would go on the deep side. Yet I’ve never gotten rid of them. And when I began to spot-check them, I was not only still able to sing along, it was hard avoiding it.

Simultaneously embarrassing and reassuring, they still pull at me. Either they weren’t that bad to begin with or, at a minimum, they have held their dubious ground.

So here you go: me and what moved me, somewhere between 1989 and 1991, give or take. This indecent tracksposure is taken to its natural end: no song list. You'll have to invest the time for the right to mock. But you might not need it. Much.
Five O'Clock Rock: My Secret Shame

Allergy warning: may contain Spin Doctors.

This Friday's Mix: My Secret Shame

No comments: